Not Your Mama's Gluten-Free Lasagna Recipe #NimaTested
I’m not even remotely Italian, but since being gluten-free and paleo, I miss pasta like crazy. Now that a few paleo pastas are making their way out on the market (I’m not about to make pasta from scratch. Who’s got the time?), I’m trying to experiment again with Italian food. Gluten-free lasagna seemed like a good place to start. I can’t say how authentic, traditional lasagna is supposed to be made, but I do know it’s layers of pasta, sauce, meat and cheese. So, I threw together my favorites of all those things. I picked Cappello’s paleo lasagna sheets and some lower lactose cheeses, farmer’s cheese (instead of ricotta) and fontina and parmesan (for some extra flavor). Instead of plain ground beef, I decided on mild Italian sausage because it adds a kick of extra flavors. Throw in your choice of gluten-free pasta sauce (I like Cucina Antica’s marinara because there’s no sugar added), and you’re ready for gluten-free lasagna. Top with extra sauce and/or cheese and enjoy!
Not Your Mama’s Gluten-Free Lasagna RecipeServes: 6 Prep time: 30 minutes Bake time: 50 minutes Ingredients:
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 oz. white mushrooms, chopped
- 1 c. frozen chopped spinach
- 1 jar pasta sauce
- 1 c. farmer’s cheese (or ricotta)
- 1 c. fontina, shredded
- 1/8 c. parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/8 c. fresh basil, chopped
- 1 package no-boil gluten-free lasagna noodles
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add Italian sausage and mushrooms to pan and cook until browned.
- While the meat cooks, stir together the farmer’s cheese, basil and fontina in a small bowl. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add frozen spinach to the meat mixture, and stir in until thawed.
- Add most of pasta sauce to pan and stir (save about 1/4 cup of sauce and set aside).
- Bring to boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook about 5 minutes.
- Once meat sauce is done, start layering the lasagna in a 9″ x 13″ baking dish. Pour half of the pasta sauce you set aside in the bottom of the dish. Layer lasagna sheets until dish is covered on the bottom. Spoon out 1/3 of the meat sauce mixture on top of the lasagna sheets and spread evenly. Spread 1/3 of the cheese mixture evenly on top of the meat layer. Repeat layers until meat and cheese are gone. Top with a layer of lasagna sheets and the remaining pasta sauce.
- Bake covered for 45 minutes or until bubbly. Top with parmesan cheese and cook uncovered for another 5 minutes.
- Cut into six pieces and serve as you like. (I add more parmesan!)