Gluten-Free Game Day Party Recipes – Chili, Avocado Dip, and Wings
No matter which team you’re cheering for, when you’re the host, you’re always the winner. If you’re hosting a game day party this Sunday, we’ve got you covered with some gluten-free recipes recommended by Nima team members Heather and Sho. Check out these winning recipes for chili, chip dip, chicken bites, and wings!
Dad’s Famous ChiliYou’ll win any chili cook-off with my dad’s famous chili recipe! Perfect for a crisp winter day or during the Super Bowl, this chili is the ultimate comfort food. Eat with a side of your favorite GF tortilla, and if you tolerate dairy, top with your preferred sour cream and shredded cheese! I’m not a fan of beans, but feel free to add a kidney or black bean mid-way through cooking as well. -Heather Serves: 10-15 Hearty Bowls Cooking Time: 2-2.5 Hours Ingredients:
- 4 strips raw bacon
- 1.5 lbs ground beef
- 1.5 lbs ground pork
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 1 medium bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste or 1 8 oz Can tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz can of stewed tomatoes
- 1 bottle gluten-free beer (optional)
- ¼ cup of gluten-free chili powder
- ⅛-¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (depending on desired level of spicy)
- 1 small can of diced green chilis
- Salt and pepper
- 1 can beans (optional)
- Sour cream (optional)
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- Brown the meats and vegetables: In a large pot, cook the bacon until brown, then remove the strips. In the hot bacon grease, cook the diced onions, diced bell peppers, minced garlic, and ground pork/beef until brown.
- Simmering the mix: Add tomatoes, paste/sauce and GF beer (optional) and simmer 30 minutes. Next, add chilies, chili powder and cayenne pepper, and simmer for 1 hour. Add beans if desired and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer 30 minutes or until you’ve reached desired thickness.
Sliwinski Family Avocado Salad DipThe best layer salad you’ll ever have – even people who don’t like avocado love this avocado salad! My paternal grandmother made this, my dad still makes this, and now I make this for any event or party where I need to bring a dish. It’s so vibrant, with so many different colored veggies, I always love preparing this appetizer. -Heather Serves: Plenty to go with 1 bag of chips Cooking Time: 30 Minutes Ingredients:
- 3-4 ripe avocados
- 2 stalks green onions
- 1 bell pepper (any color)
- 2-3 fresh tomatoes
- 1 bag shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1 bag shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Bag of Gluten Free chips or fresh veggie chips
- Mash up 3-4 ripe avocados and spread on the bottom of a 13×9 dish.
- Dice green onions and sprinkle on top of the avocado layer.
- Dice bell pepper and layer on top of avocado/green onion layer.
- Dice tomatoes and add on top of bell pepper layer.
- Cover the top layer with a mix of monterey jack and Mexican cheese.
Karaage (Japanese Fried Chicken)A staple appetizer dish at Japanese restaurants, Karaage are bite sized fried chicken that’s easy to make and perfect for a picnic or dinner parties. -Sho Serves: 2-5 people Cooking Time: 30 Minutes Ingredients:
- 1-2 lbs boneless chicken thighs or legs
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 garlic cloves, grated
- 3 tablespoon gluten-free soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon sake, mirin, or sherry wine if unavailable
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 cup potato starch (katakuriko) or cornstarch, (enough to coat the chicken. Potato starch is better, but cornstarch will do)
- Vegetable oil, (for deep frying)
- Making the marinade: In a bowl mix grated ginger, grated garlic, scallions, gf soy sauce/tamari, sesame oil, sake/mirin/wine, and whisk it all together.
- Preparing the chicken: Cut up the chicken into bite sized portions (1 to 1.5 inch squares) and put into the marinade bowl. Let the chicken pieces marinate for a minimum of 10 minutes, but no more than an hour or it can get very salty.
- Batter the chicken pieces: Sprinkle a thin layer of potato starch on a plate. Using a thong or chopsticks toss chicken pieces into the potato starch and sprinkle some more starch from above. Mix it around so that each piece is completely coated.
- Frying the karaage: Heat the oil in a frying pan or pot. Throw in a piece of batter to test the oil. Fry the battered chicken pieces a few at a time until a deep golden brown.
- Dry the karaage: Drain the karaage pieces of excess oil on a wire rack or paper towels on top of a plate.
Fishsauce Garlic Hot WingsGame time chicken wings with a southeast asian twist. Sweet, tangy, and spicy (optional). These wings are finger licking good! -Sho Serves: 12 Wings Cooking Time: 30 Minutes Ingredients:
- 1-2 lbs boneless chicken wings and/or drumsticks.
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 5 garlic cloves crushed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fishsauce
- 1 lime
- Whole thai chili peppers or red pepper flakes
- 1 cup potato starch, cornstarch, or rice flour.
- Vegetable oil, (for deep frying)
- Making the marinade: In a bowl mix sugar, fishsauce, crushed garlic, and red pepper (optional) and pour into a ziploc bag.
- Preparing the chicken: Wash the chicken in cold water and put into the marinade bag. Let the chicken marinate for a minimum of 3 hours but best to leave overnight.
- Coat the chicken wings: Remove the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel. Throughly coat the wings with the potato/cornstarch or rice flour.
- Frying the crispy garlic topping: Put some oil in a small pan over medium heat and cook the minced garlic until golden crisp. Take out the garlic and dry on a paper towel.
- Frying the wings: Heat the oil in a frying pan or pot. (You can add the strained garlic oil from the previous step). Throw in a piece of batter to test the oil. Fry the wings until golden brown and dry on a metal rack or paper towel.
- Coat the wings with sauce and garlic: In a separate pan, cook the marinade over medium heat until it thickens. Add the fried wings and coat evenly. Sprinkle the crisp garlic over the wings.
- Fishsauce and Lime dipping sauce: Squeeze whole lime into a small plate and add fishsauce (2 tsp or more as desired) and sprinkle on some minced chili pepper or red pepper flakes.
- Topping and Serving: Place the done chicken over a serving plate with mint and cilantro