Gluten-free Breakfast Casserole Recipe
Casseroles are one of the truly American additions to the culinary world, but with so many mixed-in ingredients, keeping gluten-free when eating them can be very stressful. Who knows what ingredients might have gone into this square-dished bastion of cooking efficiency prepared by a restaurant or family member with the best intentions? And at breakfast, having something quick and ready to go can be the key to a productive day. Thus, we give you a great Cali-inspired gluten-free breakfast casserole recipe. It’s tasty, it’s easy, and its leftover potential is amazing (but we’ll get to that in a second!)
First, the recipe!
- 6 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1 medium onion or large shallot (we used shallot), chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2-3 oz. sun-dried tomatoes – dry or jarred, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1.4 teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup Pamela’s Gluten-free Non-Dairy Pancake and Waffle Mix
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Saute onions and peppers in a pan with a neutral oil until the shallot is clear (usually 3-5 minutes).
- Chop the sundried tomatoes into bite-sized pieces as well. If they are dry or dehydrated, you may want to dampen them or saute them with your peppers and onions to soften them a bit. If the tomatoes are the jarred variety, a nice rinse with cold water in a strainer is best to get rid of excess oil.
- In a large bowl, add the eggs, milk (we used soy milk for the lactose intolerant and it was great!) pepper and salt, and mix together until well blended.
- Add in the veggie mixture and sundried tomatoes, stirring again.
- Next, whisk in the gluten-free pancake mix until it is fully dissolved. This mix will keep your casserole from being too runny and provide a bit of sweet flavor as well. If you prefer, try a gluten-free flour of your choice, here’s a good list.
- Pour the full mixture into a 13” x 9” pre-greased baking dish.
- Add in about 1 ½ cups of your shredded cheese, and stir through. We found that adding the cheese last keeps it from clumping too much. (Again, we used a cheese alternative in this batch for the lactose-free folks, and it worked great.)
- Bake in the oven at 400º for 30 minutes, or until a knife or toothpick comes out clean when inserted. Add the last of your shredded cheese as a topping and bake for another 1-2 minutes, then remove and let cool.
You can also easily add in the breakfast meat of your choice, if you’re inclined towards the carnivorous. In fact, we made a second casserole alongside this one with turkey chorizo! When using any kind of processed meat like sausage, we recommend testing a sample with your Nima before adding it to your casserole.
This recipe is super tasty and very easy to put together. It can also be saved in batter form in the fridge, or poured into the baking dish and set aside until you are ready to bake, even over night. Plus, as a Texan, I’ve long been partial to another great culinary invention – the breakfast taco – and leftover, this casserole makes the perfect breakfast taco filling! Just cut out a slice, warm it up, and layer it into your favorite gluten-free tortilla!